Media Companion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Media Companion

Discussion and development board for the program Media Companion.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Table View disscusion

Go down 
+2
AnthonyB
paybac
6 posters
AuthorMessage
paybac
Media Companion Supporter
paybac

Table View disscusion Empty
PostSubject: Table View disscusion   Table View disscusion Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 9:04 am

I couldn't find if this was being discussed elsewhere but i thought i would start a thread to discuss the things we would like to see in the table view. I know it's still a work in progress but i thought i would put up a few requests that Billy may or may not have thought of.

In no particular order

*Ability to edit movies details one at a time or multiple movies at once (think this was discussed in the original idea)
*Option to add or remove columns (personally i dont need full file name and path)
*A column for posters ( you could use the same thumbnail database as the wallview?)
*Ability to print table (may be easier for some rather then using export to html then printing?)

Also i assume you have picked up on the top250,runtime etc need to be put in numerical order.

Anyone else have some ideas?
Back to top Go down
AnthonyB

PostSubject: Re: Table View disscusion   Table View disscusion Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 10:22 am

Search and Replace capability?
Back to top Go down
StormyKnight
VIP
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Table View disscusion   Table View disscusion Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 10:24 am

Thanks Billy for adding this feature.

The only thing I would like at the moment is the abilty to remember the column order after you have moved the around & the sort order selected.

Could watched be an icon rather than a number?

Could you also include a fanart/poster column. It either needs to show a miniaturized version of the appropriate artwork so that the row height is not increased or an icon (probably better due to speed) to indicate that a fanart exists or not. From here you could right click to view/add/change that artwork.

Also I have now located some movies with scraper error for the runtime, if I could right click from here I could choose to refresh the scan time from IMDB or from the local file.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
billyad2000
Admin
billyad2000

PostSubject: Re: Table View disscusion   Table View disscusion Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 12:50 pm

Having a little bit of success with this now, feel like I am getting somewhere.

I have worked out how to add and remove columns, and display details such as the watched status as a checkbox. The runtume column is also formatted so that it is ordered correctly.

I have also worked out how to save changed records, although I am not sure what method I will use to do so,
Should I automatically update nfo's live as soon as a row is exited,
or
Should I automatically save all changes needed when the table view is exited.
or
Should I add a button that performs the function perhaps with a warning that informs people if they have commited changes without saving when they try to leave the view.

I am leaning heavily towards the last option.

I'm still not 100% sure how long it will take to commit the changes, identifying changed records is not a problem, but i'm not sure how fast rewriting lots of nfo files will take, especially across a slow network. I will need to do a few tests.

I still need to work out how to save the datagridview format, column positions, locations, etc, but this should not be a big problem.

I have also not even begun to work on the context menu, I will need to think about what options to add.
Back to top Go down
http://billyad2000.co.uk
StormyKnight
VIP
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Table View disscusion   Table View disscusion Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 10:50 am

Yes Billy, have a save button to save the changes & ask before leaving if you want to save changes. It's the safest way without the use of a multidepth undo feature.

If the time is slow for many entries, then a popup progress bar would be good to indicate that the program is busy & not hung.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
paybac
paybac

PostSubject: Re: Table View disscusion   Table View disscusion Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 3:06 am

Agree with stormy.
Back to top Go down
twojenkins
twojenkins

PostSubject: Re: Table View disscusion   Table View disscusion Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 7:34 am

I agree with StormyKnight and paybac.
Back to top Go down
billyad2000
Admin
billyad2000

PostSubject: Re: Table View disscusion   Table View disscusion Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 11:30 am

I'll hopefully be uploading a build later on today with the additional functionality, it's much more complete now, although work still needs to be done.

The Table can be fully customised, the columns ordered, sized, and saved between instances. There are also checkboxes to display or hide columns. The watched status is displayed as a checkbox, and the sets catagory is a combobox.

Edits can now also be saved, either by using an added 'Save Changes' button, or when leaving the table view, if changes have been made then the question will be asked.

A column has also been added for missing artwork, it is read only and lists what artwork is missing, it is also highlighted red if there is any missing artwork.

There is additional functionality I would like to add, such as searches and context menus, but they will come later.
Back to top Go down
paybac
paybac

PostSubject: Re: Table View disscusion   Table View disscusion Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 11:18 pm

Do we have the ability to edit multiple movies at once?

Also in the future will it be possible to say select multiple movies and then add for instance zombies to the genre column without affecting the other genres already there? The reason i ask is i love the add your own genre filter. As this gives me the ability to add all my zombie,vampire and kids movies into into a genre that i can then go to in xbmc.

Looking forward to having a play.
Back to top Go down
billyad2000
Admin
billyad2000

PostSubject: Re: Table View disscusion   Table View disscusion Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 11:29 pm

Edit as many as you like, thats the main reason for the table view.

Not sure how the genre thing would work from a table point of view.

I've uploaded the new build, play as much as you want Smile
Back to top Go down
paybac
paybac

PostSubject: Re: Table View disscusion   Table View disscusion Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 11:48 pm

Could we get a date added column? Smile

Paybac
Back to top Go down
paybac
paybac

PostSubject: Re: Table View disscusion   Table View disscusion Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 12:15 am

Quote :
Edit as many as you like, thats the main reason for the table view.

Sorry what i meant was Is it possible to select multiple movies by ctrl clicking or shift clicking etc. So that that multiple movies could be edited at once. Kinda like multi save mode in the Main Browser.

It would be nice if selecting a movie in table view you could then go directly to the selected movies fanart, poster, imdb page etc,

PS: Where you thinking of implementing table view into TV shows? Smile

Cheers
Paybac
Back to top Go down
StormyKnight
VIP
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Table View disscusion   Table View disscusion Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 10:27 am

Once you have selected multiple fields, it would be good to right click & be able to enter in a textbox the new data for those fields.

Also it would be nice to have the option to rescrape all those fields too can be rescraped.

Another thing, if I select a movie in the main view, could it be automatically selected in the table view to allow easy location? Not sure if that is a logical step or not......but it is the way I'm using it at the moment.

Should the table view be effected by the filters? Just wondering if that will make it more useful or easier to group certain movies together for easier editing?

Cheers
Back to top Go down
billyad2000
Admin
billyad2000

PostSubject: Re: Table View disscusion   Table View disscusion Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 11:04 pm

paybac wrote:
Sorry what i meant was Is it possible to select multiple movies by ctrl clicking or shift clicking etc. So that that multiple movies could be edited at once. Kinda like multi save mode in the Main Browser.
StormyKnight wrote:
Once you have selected multiple fields, it would be good to right click & be able to enter in a textbox the new data for those fields.
Wasn't quite sure how to achieve this, what I have done for the next build is add text boxes beneath the table, corresponding to the column they are below, when more than one movie is selected they appear. Any entry made in these boxes can then be applied to all selected movies with a single button press.

The watched and sets fields were a little tricky, in the end I decided to go with drop down comboboxes.
The watched box has the items 'Unchanged', 'Watched', and 'Unwatched', while the sets box has the items 'UnChanged', followed by a list of available sets.

It's difficult to explain so here's a pic:
Table View disscusion Tablev10
When the update table button is clicked any textboxes that contain text are copied to the appropriate fields of the selected movies.

The textboxes are dynamic in that they will maintain their size and position even when the table columns are resized, removing a column also removes the corresponding textbox.

To avoid accidents while the table is updated with the new details, the data is not saved immediately, but only when save is selected, either the button or when leaving the table page.

StormyKnight wrote:
Also it would be nice to have the option to rescrape all those fields too can be rescraped.
I havn't quite decided what contextual features to include for the table, certainly it will include such things as go to main browser, fanart and poster browsers, etc. Rescraping a movie is easy enough, but I don't really want to add any additional threads to MC. There is already the possibility of 8 threads running simultaneous, and this is more than enough, especially since most of these are scraping from the same sources. I will consider adding a rescrape feature, but it will run in the main thread much like the rescrape in the main browser, I just dont want to be bombarded with complaints when folks select 500 movies to rescrape then wonder why MC appears to have stopped working.

StormyKnight wrote:
if I select a movie in the main view, could it be automatically selected in the table view to allow easy location? Not sure if that is a logical step or not......but it is the way I'm using it at the moment.
I've implemented this for the next build, not only is the current selected movie selected in the table, the table is scrolled to the selected movie.

StormyKnight wrote:
Should the table view be effected by the filters? Just wondering if that will make it more useful or easier to group certain movies together for easier editing?
Agreed, From the next build the table view will display the same list that is displayed in the main browser, this will take away the need for another set of filters and searches.
Back to top Go down
StormyKnight
VIP
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Table View disscusion   Table View disscusion Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 3:05 am

Yes Billy that all sounds good Smile

I had a thought & whilst its not exactly table related it would be best viewed in the table format.

That is to add a filter that just shows the movies added in this session. i.e. since MC was started.

I'm not sure how to implement that but you would have to tag them somehow on creation & untag them either on exit of MC or on startup.

It would make it much simpler to confirm the correct data has been scraped if we could see just those new movies all listed in the table.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
otb
New User
New User

PostSubject: table view missing artwork doesn't seem to work   Table View disscusion Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 7:41 pm

I recently installed MC 3.296 and did a scrape of 200 movies - approx 100 are missing posters. I can see via the main browser tab or by click on the WALL, however in TABLE mode with missing artwork checked, they all appear as NONE.

Note: all 200 movies were added on the initial scrape. I've since added a single movie directory to the watched folder and did a 'search for new movies'. It found the movie, scraped everything but didn't find a poster, just fanart. This one did appear in the table view with red background and the text POSTER. I manually downloaded a poster (which MC should have found on it's own) and it's there now but the media browser and table view still show the poster as missing? I've restarted the app and even rescraped that movie - no luck.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Table View disscusion   Table View disscusion Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Table View disscusion
Page 1 of 1