Media Companion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Media Companion

Discussion and development board for the program Media Companion.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Episcopi Primi

Go down 
AuthorMessage
cerberus
VIP
VIP

Episcopi Primi Empty
PostSubject: Episcopi Primi   Episcopi Primi Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 5:00 pm

After the death of King William I of England, Urse continued to serve William's sons and successors, Kings William II Rufus and Henry I.[11] While William I granted the duchy of Normandy to his eldest son, Robert Curthose, England went to his second surviving son, William Rufus. Henry (later Henry I), the youngest son, was given a sum of money.[50] In 1088, shortly after William Rufus became king, Urse was present at the trial of William de St-Calais, Bishop of Durham,[51] and is mentioned in De Iniusta Vexacione Willelmi Episcopi Primi, a contemporary account of the trial.[52] During William I's reign, Urse had served the king mainly as a regional official, but during William II's reign Urse began to take a broader role in the kingdom as a whole.[41] Urse became a constable in the king's household for both William II[53] and Henry I,[54] and under William II, he ascended to the office of marshal.[55]

Urse was an assistant to William II's main minister, Ranulf Flambard,[56] and frequently served as a royal judge. The historian Emma Mason argues that Urse, along with Flambard, Robert Fitzhamon, Roger Bigod, Haimo the dapifer, or seneschal, and Eudo, another dapifer, were the first recognizable barons of the Exchequer.[51] During his absence from England, the King addressed a number of writs to Urse, along with Haimo, Eudo, and Robert Bloet, ordering them to enforce William's decisions in England. The historian Francis West, who studied the office of the justiciarship, asserts that Haimo, Eudo, and Urse, along with Flambard, could be considered the first English justiciars.[57]

kebaya modern
lysspejle
Back to top Go down

Episcopi Primi
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Media Companion :: Media Companion :: General Discussion-
Jump to: