Posts : 409
Join date : 2011-06-10
|Subject: Managing Director Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:44 pm|| |
On 1 July 1933 the Metropolitan Railway, along with London's other underground railways aside from the short Waterloo & City Railway, was taken into public ownership as part of the newly formed London Passenger Transport Board (LPTB). Thus, despite being 44 miles (71 km) from London, Quainton Road formally became part of the London Underground network. [note 13] By this time, the routes from Quainton Road to Verney Junction and Brill were in severe decline. Competition from the newer lines and from improving road haulage had drawn away much of the Tramway's custom in particular, and Brill trains would often run without a single passenger.
Long low red brick building
The main building of the second Quainton Road station
Frank Pick, Managing Director of the Underground Group from 1928 and the Chief Executive of the LPTB, aimed to move the network away from freight services, and to concentrate on the electrification and improvement of the core routes in London. He saw the lines beyond Aylesbury via Quainton Road to Brill and Verney Junction as having little future as financially viable passenger routes. On 1 June 1935 the London Passenger Transport Board gave the required six months' notice to the Oxford & Aylesbury Tramroad Company that it intended to terminate operations on the Brill Tramway altogetherjewelry clubMarking Gun