Posts : 409
Join date : 2011-06-10
|Subject: the inside height Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:48 am|| |
Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, invested in the iron and minerals industries on a large-scale basis, including the construction of the Fitzgerald, which represented the first such investment by any American life insurance company. In 1957, they contracted Great Lakes Engineering Works (GLEW), of River Rouge, Michigan, to design and construct the ship "within a foot of the maximum length allowed for passage through the soon-to-be completed Saint Lawrence Seaway." The Fitzgerald was the first laker built to the maximum St. Lawrence Seaway size, which was 730 feet (222.5 m) long, 75 feet (22.9 m) wide, and 25 feet (7.6 m) deep. The moulded depth (roughly speaking, the vertical height of the body of the ship) was 39 ft (12 m). The hold depth (the inside height of the cargo hold) was 33 ft 4 in (10.16 m). GLEW laid the first keel plate on August 7 the same year.
With a deadweight capacity of 26,000 long tons (29,120 ST; 26,417 t), and a 729 feet (222 m) hull, the Fitzgerald was the longest ship on the Great Lakes, earning her the title Queen of the Lakes until September 17, 1959, when the 730-foot (220 m) SS Murray Bay was launched. The Fitzgerald's three central cargo holds were loaded through 21 watertight hatches, each 11 by 48 feet (3.4 by 15 m) of 5⁄16-inch-thick (7.9 mm) steel. Originally coal-fired, the boat's boilers were converted to burn oil during the 1971–72 winter layup. In 1969, the ship's maneuverability was improved by the installation of a diesel-powered bow thruster.norton couponchina teapots