Media Companion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Media Companion

Discussion and development board for the program Media Companion.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A quick guide to movie file naming convention

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Insomniac
Insomniac

A quick guide to movie file naming convention Empty
PostSubject: A quick guide to movie file naming convention   A quick guide to movie file naming convention Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 9:23 pm

This is intended as a mini-guide for file naming in order to get the best results for scrapes. Feel free to add to this. (And please let me know if I got anything wrong!)

Supported File Extentions
.avi
.divx
.mkv
.mpg
.mp4
.wmv
.bin
.ogm
.vob
.iso
.img
.bin
.ts
(I took a chance with a few of these - fact is, I'm not really sure of the images!)

Word Spacing
Space between MovieName, year, part, etc. could be replaced with period (.), underscore (_) or hyphen (-) throughout this naming standard - I am not going to include these characters in every example - assume that they can replace the spacing between words.

Movie Titles
While including the year in the filename is not a necessity, the inclusion of the year in the file or folder name will return a greater accuracy when scaping than without.
Examples:
MovieName (year).ext
Or
MovieName (year)\MovieName (year).ext

DVD Rips
Straight DVD rips would be best placed in a folder containing the movie title and year. Avoid using the \VIDEO_TS\ folder in your storage path:
MovieName (year)\VIDEO_TS.vob

Split movies
Certain movies may be split for whatever reason and stacked for the purpose of display in the XBMC GUI. There are several examples in the wild:
MovieName CD#.ext
MovieName Part#.ext
MovieName Disc#.ext
MovieName pt#.ext

TV Series
There are several options available, with the standard being: SeriesName\SeriesName-Season-Episode. While some follow this with an episode title, this is not a requirement for scraping.
In the event of a 'Special' episode, use season '00' with the episode number being as per TVDb.
The folder names are very important in raising your chances of success - the series title is not a necessity in the filename. In certain cases it may be prudent to include the year in the folder name - refer to TheTVDb for the name used (e.g. Knight Rider (2008)).
Examples:
Lost\Lost S##E##.ext
Lost\Lost s##e##.ext
Lost\Lost s#e#.ext
Lost\Lost ##x##.ext
Lost\Lost #x#.ext
Or, without the series title in the filename:
Lost\S##E##.ext
etc...
Back to top Go down
billyad2000
Admin
billyad2000

PostSubject: Re: A quick guide to movie file naming convention   A quick guide to movie file naming convention Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 11:55 pm

Just a few points on your post

A few extensions you missed
.xvid
.mpeg
.mov
.rm
.3gp
.m4v
.asf
.nrg
.rmvb
.vob is not supported but VIDEO_TS.IFO is to allow support of DVD folders.

DVD folders can be in the following format:
Moviename\DVD Files (IFO,VOB etc)
or
Moviename\VIDEO_TS\DVD Files(IFO,VOB etc)

the only disadvantage to the latter is that it wont work for those who want to use folder.jpg for file view in XBMC, since the folder.jpg needs to be in the folder root.

Split movies

cd1
cd 1
cd.1
cd_1
cd-1

or similar with
"dvd", "part", "disk", and "pt"
I never considered "disc" since I don't spell it like that.

I'm always open to suggestions about these things, the only think I don't really want to do is
moviename 1
moviename 2
It would cause too many problems with sequels etc
Back to top Go down
http://billyad2000.co.uk
Insomniac
Insomniac

PostSubject: Re: A quick guide to movie file naming convention   A quick guide to movie file naming convention Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 8:28 am

Thanks for that Billy,
I see that there were queries in terms of naming standards.
Here's a link to a Wiki article on this topic for those having problems scraping their shows:
http://xbmc.org/wiki/?title=TV_Shows
Back to top Go down
billyad2000
Admin
billyad2000

PostSubject: Re: A quick guide to movie file naming convention   A quick guide to movie file naming convention Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 9:40 am

Insomniac wrote:
Thanks for that Billy,
I see that there were queries in terms of naming standards.
Here's a link to a Wiki article on this topic for those having problems scraping their shows:
http://xbmc.org/wiki/?title=TV_Shows

It's worth mentioning that at the moment XBMC does not support importing nfo files for multipart TV Episodes
Back to top Go down
http://billyad2000.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A quick guide to movie file naming convention   A quick guide to movie file naming convention Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A quick guide to movie file naming convention
Page 1 of 1