Media Companion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Media Companion

Discussion and development board for the program Media Companion.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

config.xml access denied

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
gyrene2083
New User
New User

config.xml access denied Empty
PostSubject: config.xml access denied   config.xml access denied Icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2008 11:37 pm

Hello All,

I searched and couldn't find anything, not sure if this has happened to anyone but I am using version 2.085, on Vista Ultimate x64. Every time I try to close the application, I receive config.xml access denied error messages and I can't close the program out without going into task manager and ending the program there.
Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
StormyKnight
VIP
VIP

PostSubject: Re: config.xml access denied   config.xml access denied Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 3:32 am

I suspect the issue is that in Vista you only have read access to any files in the Program Files Directories. In that case the config file should be in the Documents & Settings & then under the current user & Application Data. However I do not believe Media Companion at this stage in development will find it there.

I'm supprised this issue hasn't come up before with other Vista Users....

You may be able to get around the issue by putting Media Companion in a folder like C:\Media Companion\ where I think the restrictions do not apply.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
gyrene2083
New User
New User

PostSubject: solved   config.xml access denied Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 3:00 am

Putting it in the Root worked. But I hope eventually that could be tweaked. I'm kind of a stickler when it comes down to organizing my files and where they should belong. Thanks for the help.
Back to top Go down
latropa64
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: config.xml access denied   config.xml access denied Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 12:21 pm

Just keep it out of program files and in your user folder and UAC won't give you any trouble. I love standalone programs that don't require an install. You always know exactly where it is, it doesn't throw a million files all over the place in system folders and muck up your registry.

I keep mine in C:\Users\[MyAccount]\Hobbies\XBMC\MediaCompanion
Back to top Go down
billyad2000
Admin
billyad2000

PostSubject: Re: config.xml access denied   config.xml access denied Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 1:55 pm

Could I just ask where the default location for the config file would be,

The config file could be stored anywhere really, it's just a matter of adding the path to code.

Am I right in thinking that I should be creating a Media Companion folder in the "Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.LocalApplicationData)"

In XP this returns
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data
and I would add "\Media Companion\config.xml

Would this path be correct for Vista?
Back to top Go down
http://billyad2000.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: config.xml access denied   config.xml access denied Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

config.xml access denied
Page 1 of 1