Media Companion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Media Companion

Discussion and development board for the program Media Companion.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Not scanning network folders

Go down 
+3
StormyKnight
fatherb
sirsmegalot666
7 posters
AuthorMessage
sirsmegalot666
New User
New User

Not scanning network folders Empty
PostSubject: Not scanning network folders   Not scanning network folders Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 7:39 pm

Hi,

This is my first post but have been using the program for a while - a big thank you for your time and effort spent on it, it is appreciated by a lot of people.

On to my problem... When I add folders to the movie folder list (e.g. \\server\movies\ or a mapped drive (in Windows XP) of M:\Movies) it always comes back with this when I hit the Media Search button:

Code:
Starting Folder Scan

0 New Movies Found

This is occuring in current version 2.291 and all previous versions I've tried. Can you give me any tips on how I can resolve this, at present the only workaround I have is to start copying say 10 to 20 movies to a local folder (giving it enough time for them to appear locally) then getting MP to scan that folder - once it's done I cancel all the copy windows, but this takes forever!

Just to give you an idea the path is in this format: M:\Movies\Movie Name (Year).avi

Thanks in advance
Back to top Go down
sirsmegalot666
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Not scanning network folders   Not scanning network folders Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 1:58 pm

*gentle bump* anyone able to help with this problem? Smile
Back to top Go down
fatherb
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Not scanning network folders   Not scanning network folders Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 1:23 am

same problem here.

when attempting to scan a network drive - either through smb path or mapped network drive in windows xp, the scraper comes back with 0 files found.

if pointed at a folder on local machine, it works fine.

is this a bug or an unimplemented feature?
Back to top Go down
StormyKnight
VIP
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Not scanning network folders   Not scanning network folders Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 10:35 am

No its not a bug, virtually all my movies & TV Shows are on a NAS unit which is seen from windows XP as N Drive.

I added Time Warp as a folder in my TV Shows on my NAS unit.

I added that folder to the folders under TV by selecting Add Folders From Roots - MC added the Time Warp Folder

Returning to the TV main tab, I can see that Time Warp is added & locked. (It is locked so that new episodes don't accidentally get added until you confirm the correct TV Show has been scraped)

I unlock the Time Warp show by pressing the unverified button next to status (on the right pane in red)

I added a season folder under the Time Warp folder on my N Drive (Optional, MC doesn't care if you have season folders - a single folder can contain episodes from different seasons)

I add my movie file to the season folder S01E01.avi as an example.

Back in MC I can either I can right click on the TV Show Time Warp & choose search for new episodes or I can do a full search of all my unlocked shows from the menu bar with "Search for new episodes".

If you already have a TV Show on C Drive & wish to move it to N Drive you should "Rebuild Shows" after you have moved it & removed that folder from the folders list before you add the new folder to the preferences. This way MC doesn't try & add the same show from a different path.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
fatherb
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Not scanning network folders   Not scanning network folders Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 11:40 am

thanks for the reply stormywatch. however, i don't see how what you have written can help. i have already tried to rebuild movies and reload movie cache.

the log just says this when you start the scan for movies:

Starting Folder Scan

0 Movies found in all folders
Obtaining Title for each movie found, from path and filename

Starting Main Scraper Process
Back to top Go down
billyad2000
Admin
billyad2000

PostSubject: Re: Not scanning network folders   Not scanning network folders Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 6:51 pm

I have no idea why it can't see the network path, over the last year I have moved from XP 32 to vista 32 to vista x64 and now W7 x64 and they could all see files located on my NAS without issue.

I have mapped the path to windows and just used MCs browser to add the folders.

Are you running MC from a local machine, apparently if you are running the exe file from a networked location this can cause issues.
Back to top Go down
http://billyad2000.co.uk
fatherb
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Not scanning network folders   Not scanning network folders Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 12:18 pm

hi billy

just running the exe from a folder on the desktop.

it runs fine when I plug the same drive in with a usb lead and works perfectly. as soon as i put it on the network it can't find the locations regardless of whether I use the smb path or a mapped network drive.

can't thing what I'm doing wrong. tried a million settings yesterday to try and make it go. still not too much of a problem to just use the usb lead every now and then to keep it up to date.

thanks
Back to top Go down
paybac
Media Companion Supporter
Media Companion Supporter
paybac

PostSubject: Re: Not scanning network folders   Not scanning network folders Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 10:57 pm

I assume (I dont no much bout networks/NAS etc) but do you/have you changed the folder location in MC/movies/ folders tab to reflect the drives new location? Just throwing it out there maybe a simple thing overlooked.

Also was there a thread about something to do with NAS and MC needing to be in c:\program files? can't really remember just throwing it out there again.

Anyways take this with a grain of salt as i no nothing about NAS. Smile

Paybac
Back to top Go down
fatherb
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Not scanning network folders   Not scanning network folders Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 8:24 pm

just thought i would try and bump this up....still getting the network folder issue and hoped maybe somebody could figure out why.

Set my folder movie preferences to my mapped network drive eg. Z:/Movies and push 'Search for new movies' and it doesn't find anything.

Starting Folder Scan

Any suggestions on new things to try?
Back to top Go down
steshell
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Not scanning network folders   Not scanning network folders Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 11:13 pm

Do you have to enter a user name and password to view files on your NAS?
If so, try scanning after you have logged onto it.

Steve
Back to top Go down
StormyKnight
VIP
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Not scanning network folders   Not scanning network folders Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 2:44 am

fatherb, can you provide the brand & model of your NAS. Also do you have a second computer on your network that you could map a folder from & thirdly, have you tried mapping a local shared folder. (You can do that by sharing a folder, then going to network Neighborhood, browsing Microsoft Window Network down to the shared folder on your computer & right clicking & selected map drive)

It will be interesting to see if MC can see any files via the mapped process even though they are still on your local PC.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
bigkidoz
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Not scanning network folders   Not scanning network folders Icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 2:59 am

fatherb wrote:
just thought i would try and bump this up....still getting the network folder issue and hoped maybe somebody could figure out why.

Set my folder movie preferences to my mapped network drive eg. Z:/Movies and push 'Search for new movies' and it doesn't find anything.

Starting Folder Scan

Any suggestions on new things to try?

Sounds like it could be a security/ sharing issue, have you set the folder options to share the folder or drive ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Not scanning network folders   Not scanning network folders Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Not scanning network folders
Page 1 of 1