Media Companion

Discussion and development board for the program Media Companion.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

TV Show DVD Backup Hanging up Scraper

Go down 
AuthorMessage
deepblue

TV Show DVD Backup Hanging up Scraper Empty
PostSubject: TV Show DVD Backup Hanging up Scraper   TV Show DVD Backup Hanging up Scraper Icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2009 5:54 am

Hi - I've got a bunch of TV Shows that I've ripped from DVD and renamed according to XBMC's naming convention, like this:
Curb Your Enthusiasm 1x07.1x08.1x09.1x10.1x11.1x12.iso

The scraper moves through my TV shows and then hangs up when it reaches one of these multi-episode files. Is this a known issue?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
StormyKnight
VIP
VIP

PostSubject: Re: TV Show DVD Backup Hanging up Scraper   TV Show DVD Backup Hanging up Scraper Icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2009 7:21 am

Have you tried renaming it as

01x07x08x09x10x11x12

I don't think you need to repeat the Series number for multipart episodes...

Have a look here....

http://xbmc.org/wiki/?title=TV_Shows_%28Video_Library%29#Multi-part_Episodes

even though the format you have used is also mentioned as valid....
Back to top Go down
paybac
Media Companion Supporter
paybac

PostSubject: Re: TV Show DVD Backup Hanging up Scraper   TV Show DVD Backup Hanging up Scraper Icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2009 10:06 am

I name my multi episodes like this and it works fine for me

S01E01.E02.E03.avi
Back to top Go down
StormyKnight
VIP
VIP

PostSubject: Re: TV Show DVD Backup Hanging up Scraper   TV Show DVD Backup Hanging up Scraper Icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2009 10:24 am

Actually deepblue, you may have come across an issue that may be cause by MC not continuing to check a filename after it has found a regex match,

Billy would this be right if the filename repeats the series number for each episode?
Back to top Go down
deepblue

PostSubject: Re: TV Show DVD Backup Hanging up Scraper   TV Show DVD Backup Hanging up Scraper Icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2009 4:41 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll try modifying my naming convention to see if that corrects it, but if the intention is to keep MC fully compliant with XBMC standards then it might be worth checking this issue I identified.

I'll also take this opportunity to thank Billy for an amazing app - the new redo is very slick and well thought out. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
deepblue

PostSubject: Re: TV Show DVD Backup Hanging up Scraper   TV Show DVD Backup Hanging up Scraper Icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2009 5:07 pm

Ok I tried renaming the files and still no help. I tried:

Curb Your Enthusiasm S01E07.E08.E09.E10.E11.E12.iso
S01E07.E08.E09.E10.E11.E12.iso
S01E07E08E09E10E11E12.iso

All of these produce the exact same behaviour - MC hangs and shows "Scraping S01E07.E08.E09.E10.E11.E12.nfo" at the bottom and never completes. Trying to cancel the process doesn't work either, have to close and restart to get control back. I've tried repeated removal of the show and re scanning, no dice. I can't get to the point where it produces a log file - is there a way to get this to debug or a log file location I'm not aware of?

Not sure if it matters, but I'm running Windows 7.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
paybac
paybac

PostSubject: Re: TV Show DVD Backup Hanging up Scraper   TV Show DVD Backup Hanging up Scraper Icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2009 11:45 pm

First problem is there is only 10 episodes in season 1 of Curb your Enthusiasm http://www.thetvdb.com/?tab=season&seriesid=76203&seasonid=9900&lid=7 So you'll need to sort that out first and cut the last two episodes off which are probably "Specials"

I actually figured out this part first.
i think i have figured this out. i created a 6x multiepisode .avi and named it like this s01e01e02e03e04e05e06.avi this worked no problem at all and scraped in under 10seconds. So this proves the naming convention works.

Next i created the same 6x multiepisode file but as an .iso and named the same way. this worked but it took close to 3 minutes to scrape. So if you are use to scraping avi's or just single .isos (also noticed single episode .isos's take considerable more time to scrape then .avis. i think you will find you need a little more patience for multipart isos.

I'm guessing this is due to the compression of the .iso's but i'm sure someone else can explain why.

Anyway give it another try. Smile This had me stumped for while, and i kept exiting out of MC as well. I only stumbled on this cause i hit the scrape button and went and made a coffee.

Oh and i didnt try this with the "Rescrape" each test i deleted the .nfos then "rebuilt tv shows" then "Searched for New Episodes"

Good Luck

Cheers
Paybac
Back to top Go down
deepblue

PostSubject: Re: TV Show DVD Backup Hanging up Scraper   TV Show DVD Backup Hanging up Scraper Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 12:01 am

paybac - thanks, and yea, I noted the Curb your Enthusiasm episode problem, but this is also persisting on my other TV backups where I'm 100% certain I have the right number of episodes.

I've left this to run for quite a while and nada - but my media is on a NAS device and I'm accessing it via wifi, so I'm sure that only makes the length of time it takes longer.

Good find noting that the issue lies with the .iso vs. .avi, hopefully Billy can shed some light and potentially correct it.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
paybac
paybac

PostSubject: Re: TV Show DVD Backup Hanging up Scraper   TV Show DVD Backup Hanging up Scraper Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 12:28 am

Hmmmmmm.......

Does it happen with you single iso files? s01e01.iso?

Try renaming one of your mutiepisode iso's to have just 2 episodes s01e01e02.iso and take note of how long it takes to scrape.

Then keeping adding an episode until it stops working.
Back to top Go down
deepblue

PostSubject: Re: TV Show DVD Backup Hanging up Scraper   TV Show DVD Backup Hanging up Scraper Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 12:54 am

Ok - I just tried it as a 4 episode file like this: "Curb Your Enthusiasm S01E07E08E09E10.iso"

I let it run for 35 minutes, and still no dice. If it goes longer than that I quite frankly won't be waiting around as I have about 50 of these files in total.

I tried renaming the .iso to be just "Curb Your Enthusiasm S01E07.iso", ran it, and after 10-15 minutes it was still scraping.

Appears to be something up with .iso files.
Back to top Go down
paybac
paybac

PostSubject: Re: TV Show DVD Backup Hanging up Scraper   TV Show DVD Backup Hanging up Scraper Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 1:01 am

hmm sorry iv'e got no more ideas. Are you up to date with 3.154 and the 2 extra .dll file updates
Back to top Go down
deepblue

PostSubject: Re: TV Show DVD Backup Hanging up Scraper   TV Show DVD Backup Hanging up Scraper Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 1:18 am

Yep - and hey, really appreciate the help troubleshooting. I've no doubt it will get cleared up in a future update, still a kickass app!
Back to top Go down
billyad2000
Admin
billyad2000

PostSubject: Re: TV Show DVD Backup Hanging up Scraper   TV Show DVD Backup Hanging up Scraper Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 1:24 am

The way MC identifys season and episode numbers by looping through the available regex until it hits a match. At this point the filename is cut at to the point at the end of the match. Then MC loops again looking for x02 or e02, eg S01E01 - E02 - X03 etc.

As far as MC is concerned, ISO's should take no longer than avi's, the only thing that is looked at is the filename, the delay is likely caused by mediainfo.dll which has to get the video details from inside the ISO, this also may be the issue. If the mediainfo library was to hang then it would halt the scraper thread. Since this library is external to MC, if it is the issue then I'm not sure what I can do about it.

As a test you could uncheck the option to create HD Media tags in the preferences, its located in the movie scraper tab, but it also applies to tv episodes, just forgot to move it to the general after I added tv show support.

deepblue

PostSubject: Re: TV Show DVD Backup Hanging up Scraper   TV Show DVD Backup Hanging up Scraper Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 5:58 pm

Billy - bingo, that did the trick. As soon as I unchecked that and rescanned it went right through all the .iso's lightning fast. Let me know if I can assist in any further debugging or testing.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
deepblue

PostSubject: Re: TV Show DVD Backup Hanging up Scraper   TV Show DVD Backup Hanging up Scraper Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 6:57 pm

Now that this is fixed I think I've discovered another small bug (or perhaps just a natural limitation) - something that XBMC used to exhibit too. When you do a multi-episode scrape it is capturing and showing a different episode plot summary for each individual episode via the .nfo, but the screenshot stays the same for all episodes within a given file.

To elaborate, if I scan "Planet Earth 1x01.1x02.1x03.iso", I can review episodes 1-3 in MC and see that the plot changes for each of those episodes, but the screenshot is the exact same for Episodes 1-3, and is the screenshot from Episode 1. I can see why - MC creates "Planet Earth 1x01.1x02.1x03.tbn" which is obviously just a single screenshot shared across all three.

Not sure if this is a limitation of how the program/scraper works, but I know if I let XBMC do the scraping it will put a unique screenshot for each episode, even on a multi-episode file.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
billyad2000
Admin
billyad2000

PostSubject: Re: TV Show DVD Backup Hanging up Scraper   TV Show DVD Backup Hanging up Scraper Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 7:57 pm

deepblue wrote:
Now that this is fixed I think I've discovered another small bug (or perhaps just a natural limitation) - something that XBMC used to exhibit too. When you do a multi-episode scrape it is capturing and showing a different episode plot summary for each individual episode via the .nfo, but the screenshot stays the same for all episodes within a given file.

To elaborate, if I scan "Planet Earth 1x01.1x02.1x03.iso", I can review episodes 1-3 in MC and see that the plot changes for each of those episodes, but the screenshot is the exact same for Episodes 1-3, and is the screenshot from Episode 1. I can see why - MC creates "Planet Earth 1x01.1x02.1x03.tbn" which is obviously just a single screenshot shared across all three.

Not sure if this is a limitation of how the program/scraper works, but I know if I let XBMC do the scraping it will put a unique screenshot for each episode, even on a multi-episode file.

Thanks.

That is (or was) a limitation of xbmc, it would be a simple matter to download the extra episode screenshots, but there is no way that I am aware of to get them into xbmc. That doesn't meen that a method has not been added, there is so much happening at xbmc it is difficult to keep up, maybe you could ask at the xbmc forum, if you come across a method then let me know and i'll happily add it.

deepblue

PostSubject: Re: TV Show DVD Backup Hanging up Scraper   TV Show DVD Backup Hanging up Scraper Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 9:06 pm

I'll do some poking around and let you know Billy - thanks.
Back to top Go down
deepblue

PostSubject: Re: TV Show DVD Backup Hanging up Scraper   TV Show DVD Backup Hanging up Scraper Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 9:50 pm

The only technical article I could find was this, a trac ticket for fixing the issue in XBMC 6 months ago:
http://xbmc.org/trac/changeset/20237

Not sure if this is any help whatsoever, I'm not much of a developer so I don't know if seeing how XBMC tackles the situation in Python is in anyway helpful to you for MC. I'll keep digging and asking around.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TV Show DVD Backup Hanging up Scraper   TV Show DVD Backup Hanging up Scraper Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TV Show DVD Backup Hanging up Scraper
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Media Companion :: Media Companion :: Bug Discussion-
Jump to: