Media Companion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Media Companion

Discussion and development board for the program Media Companion.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Writing or Updating Metadata Information

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
ibog
New User
New User

Writing or Updating Metadata Information Empty
PostSubject: Writing or Updating Metadata Information   Writing or Updating Metadata Information Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 5:52 am

I'm new to Media Companion so I'm still browsing the forums to find out how to do what I want.

I'd like to cleanup information about all my movies and tv shows. I understand Media Companion doesn't write or update metadata to the file, however, if I scrape my files and export the results does anyone know of a program that can import the results and actually write them to the metadata for each?
Back to top Go down
billyad2000
Admin
billyad2000

PostSubject: Re: Writing or Updating Metadata Information   Writing or Updating Metadata Information Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 2:11 pm

Hello ibog, welcome to the MC forum.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean that Media Companion doesn't write or update metadata to the file.

Any edits that are made using Media Companion are saved to the nfo file when you click the save button.

Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
http://billyad2000.co.uk
ibog
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Writing or Updating Metadata Information   Writing or Updating Metadata Information Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 2:36 pm

Thank you for the response.

What I'm referring to is writing the metadata to the avi or mp4 file, not a separate nfo file.

Are there any utilities that wil import the nfo file and write to metadata tags in the original media file?
Back to top Go down
billyad2000
Admin
billyad2000

PostSubject: Re: Writing or Updating Metadata Information   Writing or Updating Metadata Information Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 11:14 pm

OK, I see what you mean.

I'm not sure that there would be any real benefit to this though, as far as I know, the metadata for avi's is limited to a few basic bits of info such as the title and copyright.

What would be ideal is a new container standard that allows the media file to contain the same info as the nfo files, maybe along with posters and backdrops. This is way beyond my capability, and generated little interest when I brought it up over at XBMC. But maybe one day.
Back to top Go down
http://billyad2000.co.uk
ibog
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Writing or Updating Metadata Information   Writing or Updating Metadata Information Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 2:06 am

I agree, writing tags will be dependent on the comtainer format. I can't recall what avi supports, however, mp4 and mkv are pretty extensible.

I like your idea about creating a text stream of the nfo data. Could always try that in mkv format and see how it takes off. Can you show me an example of your nfo file?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Writing or Updating Metadata Information   Writing or Updating Metadata Information Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Writing or Updating Metadata Information
Page 1 of 1