Media Companion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Media Companion

Discussion and development board for the program Media Companion.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Use MC even when movie files are missing

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
doveman

Use MC even when movie files are missing Empty
PostSubject: Use MC even when movie files are missing   Use MC even when movie files are missing Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 4:05 pm

I'd really like to be able to use MC even when the actual .avis are no longer available, because I've archived them to DVD.

That way, I can still access an easily manageable database showing what films I have and can change the fanart if I want (of course I need to keep the .nfo, .tbn .jpg files on my HD, but they're tiny compared to the .avis).

To make this work, I really need to be able to move those small files around as well, because I might have them in a Movies to Burn folder and once I've burnt them, I'd move them to a folder just named Movies.

Perhaps one way to do this would be to do an Update Scan, which would remove the entry for the file in it's original location and then detect the .nfo, .tbn .jpg files in the new location and make an entry using those. Then, if I want to watch a movie that I've archived, I can copy it to that location.
Back to top Go down
billyad2000
Admin
billyad2000

PostSubject: Re: Use MC even when movie files are missing   Use MC even when movie files are missing Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 11:11 pm

This can already be done with rebuild movie db, that is as long as the path where you have stored all the nfo, tbn, and jpg files has been added to MC. The presence of the media file is not required after it has been scraped.
Back to top Go down
http://billyad2000.co.uk
doveman

PostSubject: Re: Use MC even when movie files are missing   Use MC even when movie files are missing Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 11:45 pm

That's excellent. MC's even more useful than I thought Smile
Back to top Go down
StormyKnight
VIP
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Use MC even when movie files are missing   Use MC even when movie files are missing Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 1:19 am

What some of us have done for our DVD's is something like this....

https://billyad2000.darkbb.com/feature-requests-f4/dvd-database-offline-movie-collections-t743.htm

Ideally the video would show which Disk the DVD is on, but that requires the creation of a new avi for each DVD.....possible but a little time consuming.....

For me the video is fine since my DVD's a alphabetically order on my shelves...

Perhaps down the track it will be an option in MC if we could get all the required freeware together for Billy to handle that.

One other thing I did was add 'DVD' to the end of all my movie titles so when in MC or XBMC I know which are DVD's & which are not.

Cheers

Last edited by StormyKnight on Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
doveman

PostSubject: Re: Use MC even when movie files are missing   Use MC even when movie files are missing Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 1:52 am

Yeah, creating videos is a bit too time consuming for me.

I mostly use MediaPortal for watching videos anyway, so will be using MC more as a movie database. I guess I could add 'offline' to my movie titles, like you've added 'DVD'. Perhaps a field in MC to allow us to enter a disc name to help us find which disc our AVIs are on would be useful? If one day MC could auto-generate an avi showing that disc name, that would be awesome.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Use MC even when movie files are missing   Use MC even when movie files are missing Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Use MC even when movie files are missing
Page 1 of 1