Media Companion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Media Companion

Discussion and development board for the program Media Companion.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Double Movies, double nfo's

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
kskh2o
New User
New User

Double Movies, double nfo's Empty
PostSubject: Double Movies, double nfo's   Double Movies, double nfo's Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 6:03 pm

Hello

I just swtiched to using MC to sort out my library. I used to do this with media info plus, but it has been outdated for a while and was getting very slow.

I'm still fairly new and cant seem to find how most things work. The biggest problem I ran into was that all my movies have two nfo files associated with them (something MIP did automatically). One nfo is named movie.nfo and the other bares the name of the folder (foldername.nfo). MIP did this dual nfo thing for some reason I cant recall but this is the case for the nfo's the tbns and fanarts, all of the folders have two sets of these movie.tbn, movie.jpg, etc etc and foldername.jpg. foldername.tbn, etc etc

When I loaded up my folders into MC, first thing that went wrong is that MC pulled both nfos from every folder and all my movies appear twice in MC. I'm guessing this can be fixed if I were to go into every folder and delete one set of nfo/jpg/etc and onlly leave one set per folder but that would be SO much work that it scares me.

Is there a setting somewhere that tells MC that all nfo's in a given folder are just different named files for the same movie? Or do I just go ahead and bite the bullet go through every folder and slim them down to just one nfo file per movie?

Which would be the best practice? Which nfo should I keep for XBMC? The foldername.nfo or movie.nfo?

Thanks for any help
Back to top Go down
marked

PostSubject: Re: Double Movies, double nfo's   Double Movies, double nfo's Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 7:40 pm

kskh2o wrote:
Hello

I'm still fairly new and cant seem to find how most things work. The biggest problem I ran into was that all my movies have two nfo files associated with them (something MIP did automatically). One nfo is named movie.nfo and the other bares the name of the folder (foldername.nfo).

Not sure about best practice, but I can help with the deleting.

Under vista you can use explorer to seach for ".nfo" ie, the 4 characters and it will descend through the directory, sort by name then you can just select all movie.nfo, and hit delete, or vice versa

at a command line prompt this will nuke all .nfo, .jpg and .tbn for <foldername>\<foldername>.{avi|mkv|etc,.)

so for
movies\alien\alien.jpg
movies\alien\alien.tbn
movies\alien\alien.nfo
movies\alien\alien.avi

Code:
cd <drive>:\path\to\movies

dir /b > dirnames

for /f "delims=;" %d in (dirnames) do del "%d\%d.nfo" "%d\%d.jpg" "%d\%d.tbn"

will leave you with
\movies\alien\alien.avi

for movie.nfo
Code:
cd <drive>:\path\to\movies
dir /b > dirnames
for /f "delims=;" %d in (dirnames) do del "%d\movie.nfo" "%d\movie.jpg" "%d\movie.tbn"

Mark
Back to top Go down
billyad2000
Admin
billyad2000

PostSubject: Re: Double Movies, double nfo's   Double Movies, double nfo's Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 10:34 pm

kskh2o wrote:
Which would be the best practice? Which nfo should I keep for XBMC? The foldername.nfo or movie.nfo?

Thanks for any help

For your information.
MC does not support nfo files based on the folder name, so these are the ones to be deleted.

MC does support
movie.nfo
but with a couple of limitations - MC will not be able to playback the movie, and MC will not be able to rescape media tags.

The best naming method as far as MC is concerned is based on the filename, the filename can be anything.
moviefilename.avi
moviefilename.nfo
moviefilename.tbn
moviefilename-fanart.jpg

MC can still use the foldername for the imdb scraper if you set this option in the movie preferences, but the default is to clean and use the filename.
eg
Star Trek (2009).avi
or
\Star Trek (2009)\some strange meaningless title.avi

Both of the above will work, but the latter will need to have 'Use Folder Names for Scraping' enabled.
Back to top Go down
http://billyad2000.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Double Movies, double nfo's   Double Movies, double nfo's Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Double Movies, double nfo's
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Media Companion :: Media Companion :: XBMC Media Companion Help And Useage-
Jump to: