Posts : 409
Join date : 2011-06-10
|Subject: There are five Grade II Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:13 pm|| |
During the medieval and post-medieval period, the township of Altrincham was part of the Bowdon parish. Altrincham did not have a church until the late 18th century because of a low population density in the area. A growing population in led to the Anglican church establishing a chapel of ease in the town in 1799. Nonconformists were also present in Altrincham, Methodists set up a chapel in 1790 Baptists built one in the 1870s. Irish immigrants in the 1830s and 1840s brought Roman Catholicism back to the area, and the first Roman Catholic church built in Trafford was St Vincent's in 1860 Altrincham.
There are five Grade II listed churches in Altrincham: Christ Church, the Church of St Alban, the Church of St George, the Church of St John the Evangelist, and Trinity United Reformed Church. All these churches have been listed buildings since 1985. There are three Grade II* listed churches in Altrincham out of only nine Grade II* buildings in Trafford: the Church of St Margaret, the Church of St John the Divine, and Hale Chapel in Hale Barns. As of the 2001 UK census, 78.8% of Altrincham's residents reported themselves as being Christian, 1.1% Jewish, 1.1% Muslim, 0.4% Hindu, 0.2% Buddhist and 0.1% Sikh. The census recorded 12.1% as having no religion, 0.2% with an alternative religion, and 6.1% not stating their religion. Altrincham is in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Shrewsbury, and the Church of England Diocese of Chester. The nearest synagogue, belonging to Hale and District Hebrew Congregation, is on Shay Lane in Hale, and there are plans to build another close by to cater for Jews of Sephardi origin.free online psychic readingsdog tags