Media Companion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Media Companion

Discussion and development board for the program Media Companion.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Winter Olympics in Turin

Go down 
AuthorMessage
cerberus
VIP
VIP

Winter Olympics in Turin Empty
PostSubject: Winter Olympics in Turin   Winter Olympics in Turin Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 3:49 pm

His play made him one of the most popular figures in the Czech Republic, so much so that residents chanted "Hašek to the castle!" in the streets. In response to this, Hašek called the country's president Václav Havel and jokingly told him that his job was not in jeopardy.[48] He also helped to inspire an opera (titled Nagano) about the Czech team's gold medal victory,[49] and in 2003, Petr Pravec and Lenka Šarounová named an asteroid (8217 Dominikhašek) in his honour.[50]

In the 2006 Winter Olympics in Turin, Italy, Hašek played for just nine minutes and twenty-five seconds, until he injured his right adductor muscle.[51] Despite his absence, the Czechs managed to earn the bronze medal with backup goaltender Tomáš Vokoun, which Hašek received as well.
[edit] Style of play
Hašek displaying his flexibility in warm-ups before a 2006 game. Hašek's flexibility is credited as one of his strengths.

Hašek has an unorthodox goaltending style.[6][52] He is extraordinarily flexible and was jokingly described in a MasterCard commercial as having "a Slinky for a spine".[53] In order to cover the bottom of the net, where most goals are scored, Hašek drops down on almost every shot. His "flopping" style is derived from him flailing in the crease, using every part of his body, including his head, to stop the puck. Hašek occasionally drops his stick and covers the puck with his stick hand, whereas most goaltenders would use the glove hand instead.[6] In response to the speculation he receives from his style, Hašek explained:
“ They say I am unorthodox, I flop around the ice like some kind of fish. I say, who cares as long as I stop the puck?[14]

Tankless Hot Water Heater
buy twitter followers
Back to top Go down

Winter Olympics in Turin
Page 1 of 1