Media Companion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Media Companion

Discussion and development board for the program Media Companion.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

v 2.131 - VERY serious bug

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Pko66

v 2.131 - VERY serious bug Empty
PostSubject: v 2.131 - VERY serious bug   v 2.131 - VERY serious bug Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 2:28 am

I've discovered what I think is a very serious bug. It just happened to me with v 2.131 but I think happened before with an earlier version.

I used autodetection in a directory full of movies. Since the movies are dubbed into spanish, most of the detected ones were incorrect (the name of the file is the title translated into spanish), and so in a manual process, for each one I change manually the movie and select the appropriate banner (with the spanish title). I did that for a number of movies and then, when selecting the banner for "El Reino Prohibido (2008).avi" (the forbidden kingdom), MC gave me a .net error; tried "continue" a few times but didn't work, so I selected "exit". But then, the avi file and the nfo file do not exist! there is the in the disk the "El Reino Prohibido (2008).tbn" file I was trying to save, but there is not "El Reino Prohibido (2008).avi" nor "El Reino Prohibido (2008).nfo", both seem to be erased. Since the path is in a network share, there is no undelete possible (the file itself is not a big problem, I will simply recreate it again from DVD).

A few days ago, I saw a .tbn file without the corresponding .avi/.nfo files, I thought at the moment it was me whom maybe had deleted them by mistake, but now I think it was another deletion by MC, since it was in the directory I process the movies with MC and there has been some .net errors from time to time.

There is no log nor anything, since I noticed the missing file after launching again MC several times, but I am sure MC is the culprit here, since there is the .tbn file but no .nfo nor .avi and I am the only one accessing the network and haven't executed any other program but MC. Sorry if I cannot be more specific, and of course I have no idea on how to reproduce the bug, but please take a look at it since I think it is very serious, it can delete an irreplaceable file by mistake! The only clue I can give is that the error appeared when manually selecting the poster file.
Back to top Go down
billyad2000
Admin
billyad2000

PostSubject: Re: v 2.131 - VERY serious bug   v 2.131 - VERY serious bug Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 3:42 am

While I can understand why you could think that Media Companion is resposible it simply is not possible.

The coverart class at no point interacts with the actual media file.

Here is the code from the Save Big Button :-
Code:
Private Sub btnsavebig_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnsavebig.Click
        Dim tempstring As String
        Dim tempint As Integer = 0
        Dim realnumber As Integer = 0
        Dim tempstring2 As String = ""
        Dim allok As Boolean = False
        For Each button As Control In Me.panel2.Controls
            If button.Name.IndexOf("checkbox") <> -1 Then
                Dim b1 As RadioButton = CType(button, RadioButton)
                If b1.Checked = True Then
                    tempstring = b1.Name
                    tempstring = tempstring.Replace("checkbox", "")
                    tempint = Convert.ToDecimal(tempstring)
                    realnumber = tempint + ((currentpage - 1) * maxthumbs)
                    tempstring2 = posterurls(realnumber, 1)
                    allok = True
                    Exit For
                End If
            End If
        Next
        If allok = False Then
            MsgBox("No Fanart Is Selected")
        End If
        If allok = True Then
            For Each PictureBox2 As Control In Me.panel2.Controls
                If PictureBox2.Name.IndexOf("picture") <> -1 And PictureBox2.Name.IndexOf(tempint.ToString) <> -1 Then
                    Dim b1 As PictureBox = CType(PictureBox2, PictureBox)
                    If Not b1.Image Is Nothing Then
                        If b1.Image.Width > 20 Then
                            With b1
                                .WaitOnLoad = True
                                Try
                                    .ImageLocation = (posterurls(realnumber + 1, 0))
                                Catch
                                    .ImageLocation = (posterurls(realnumber + 1, 1))
                                End Try
                            End With
                            b1.Image.Save(posterpath)
                            If Form1.folderjpg = True Then
                                b1.Image.Save(folderjpgpath)
                            End If
                            Form2.moviethumb.Image = b1.Image
                            Form1.moviethumb.Image = b1.Image
                            mainposter.Image = b1.Image
                            Label6.Visible = True
                            tempstring = b1.Image.Width.ToString & " x " & b1.Image.Height.ToString
                            Label6.Text = tempstring
                            mainposter.Visible = True
                            With b1
                                .WaitOnLoad = True
                                .ImageLocation = (posterurls(realnumber + 1, 1))
                            End With
                            Me.Close()
                            Exit For
                        Else
                            Label6.Visible = False
                        End If
                    Else
                        Label6.Visible = False
                    End If
                End If
            Next
        End If
    End Sub

The only output is in this bit of code:-

b1.Image.Save(posterpath)
If Form1.folderjpg = True Then
b1.Image.Save(folderjpgpath)
End If

even if by some massive logic error the savepaths happened to be "El Reino Prohibido (2008).avi" then that file could I suppose be overwritten, it would still exist, but you would have a poster called "El Reino Prohibido (2008).avi" or "El Reino Prohibido (2008).nfo" (This could not really happen, I was just giving you an example that could cause an overwrite, but still would not delete).

My only recomendation is that you scandisk for File System Data Corruption, this is a possibility, especially if this has happened before.

In addition to this there are 1000s of people using Media Companion, I am sure that I would have heard about this before now if this was caused by MC.
Back to top Go down
http://billyad2000.co.uk
Pko66

PostSubject: Re: v 2.131 - VERY serious bug   v 2.131 - VERY serious bug Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 5:46 am

I found it very odd, too, but the thing is, the file was in a network server running linux (for some years now, without faults), the only program (other than firefox and windows explorer) running was MC, the file that disappeared was the one MC where working with... maybe it was not directly caused by MC but by some weird bug at .net... I cannot think of anything other that could erase the file.

I will try to be alert and inform you if anything like this happens again. Will try to capture the error info too.

The network server is running Samba under Linux Fedora Core 8, the client (where MC was running) runs Windows XP SP3
Back to top Go down
billyad2000
Admin
billyad2000

PostSubject: Re: v 2.131 - VERY serious bug   v 2.131 - VERY serious bug Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 1:12 pm

You need to do a health check of the drive
Back to top Go down
http://billyad2000.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: v 2.131 - VERY serious bug   v 2.131 - VERY serious bug Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

v 2.131 - VERY serious bug
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Media Companion :: Media Companion :: Bug Discussion-
Jump to: