Media Companion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Media Companion

Discussion and development board for the program Media Companion.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Is there a better way to add odd tv shows then this?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Doughboy

Is there a better way to add odd tv shows then this? Empty
PostSubject: Is there a better way to add odd tv shows then this?   Is there a better way to add odd tv shows then this? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 29, 2009 11:06 pm

Okay like I'm sure others here, I have extras for a lot of my TV shows like clip shows that aren't in any database. I also have my DVD rips in ISO format in the folder. I was hoping I could create a folder structure in the XBMC TV library that would resemble the folder structure I have on my server. After much research I'm finding that the library function is helped and hurt by the scraping function. So I was stuck with what to do with the extra videos that aren't in any database. For example with Brittas Empire I have some outtake videos for the various series. I finally got them in the library by making the scraper think they were specials (ie: 00x01) and they are now in there. This also worked for the DVD rips I made, yes I know some people would say I should rip the individual episodes but I'm just happy to not have to load a disc and ruin my physical discs.

Is this the only way to add these videos? Or is the library function more flexible then I know. I actually was thinking about digging into the code to see if I could find a way to make it work but was wondering what other people thought.
Back to top Go down
StormyKnight
VIP
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Is there a better way to add odd tv shows then this?   Is there a better way to add odd tv shows then this? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 7:41 am

Basically if you create a nfo with the video file, the nfo information will take precendence over anything else - so you could for example have your extras as Series 99 for example.....(since Series 00 is already taken by specials)

PS You will have to create the NFO yourself, copy & paste Series 01 Episode 01 nfo for example & edit it to reflect the new information for Series 99 Episode 01

Then do a Rebuild in MC & MC will see the new Series 99 episode.

You can then edit the plot & title etc to suit.

XBMC will also work with this information.

With you ISO's you should be able to name them something like S01E01E02E03E04.iso (if they contain the first 4 episodes for example.)

Both MC & XBMC understand single files can contain mutiple episodes...

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Doughboy

PostSubject: Re: Is there a better way to add odd tv shows then this?   Is there a better way to add odd tv shows then this? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 9:17 pm

Thanks for the info!

I tried copying an nfo file before and now I know why it didn't work.

Just wondering is there any way to tell MC and XBMC what the season numbers are? For example if I use season number 99 for DVDs can I get MC and XBMC to recognize the folder as that, just like 00 with Specials?

Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
StormyKnight
VIP
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Is there a better way to add odd tv shows then this?   Is there a better way to add odd tv shows then this? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2009 1:25 am

You would have to ask Billy to modify MC to have the option to show episode 99 as "others" or what ever name you think fits....

Unfortunately, XBMC would be a fair bit harder to change I would think, unless you get a lot of like minded people together & get them to add it to the code as its not to my knowledge user changeable.

I think just knowing yourself, that series 99 means your extras would be sufficient.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Doughboy

PostSubject: Re: Is there a better way to add odd tv shows then this?   Is there a better way to add odd tv shows then this? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2009 2:33 am

Thanks for the info again. I've been doing some more research and came across this - http://blog.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=58825

I'll keep looking, if I find a way I'll post my results.

Thanks again for the help it really helped me out!

cheers
Back to top Go down
lupis42
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Is there a better way to add odd tv shows then this?   Is there a better way to add odd tv shows then this? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 4:44 pm

I'm having some trouble with this method. I've got a few episodes where the TVDB scrape failed for some reason, and I've created NFO's by hand, but the episodes aren't being imported into MC.
Back to top Go down
billyad2000
Admin
billyad2000

PostSubject: Re: Is there a better way to add odd tv shows then this?   Is there a better way to add odd tv shows then this? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 2:28 pm

For purposes of speed, nfo's are cached by MC, and a user created nfo will not be in this cache
If you follow the correct nfo format then they will be added by using the TV/Drop down menu option to 'Rebuild Shows'.
The following format should be used, and contains the minimum information needed for MC to see the file, set the title, season, and episode numbers to whatever you want, the season and episode numbers must be integers.
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<episodedetails>
  <title>Whatever</title>
  <season>9999</season>
  <episode>1</episode>
</episodedetails>
This should be saved using the same filename as your Episode,
eg
episodespecial.avi
episodespecial.nfo
Once the shows have been rebuilt, it will be listed, and can be edited and used the same as any other episode, including the screenshot capture feature.

@StormyKnight
I would be a little reluctant to set a figure like 99 as another catagory such as 'Others', I've just set MC to support episodes and seasons upto 9999, and there is bound to be at least one show that has 99 seasons.
Back to top Go down
http://billyad2000.co.uk
lupis42
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Is there a better way to add odd tv shows then this?   Is there a better way to add odd tv shows then this? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 4:51 pm

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
StormyKnight
VIP
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Is there a better way to add odd tv shows then this?   Is there a better way to add odd tv shows then this? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 12:42 am

billyad2000 wrote:

@StormyKnight
I would be a little reluctant to set a figure like 99 as another catagory such as 'Others', I've just set MC to support episodes and seasons upto 9999, and there is bound to be at least one show that has 99 seasons.

Yes I agree Billy, my suggestion was before the larger episode numbers where enabled...perhaps 9999? I'm only suggesting this if you get enough call for it & it would also probably need to be a preference too to label all episode &/or series 9999 to "Others"....It would be nice too if the user could decide on the naming.

I have a few specials & different endings & stuff like that that just doesn't appear on TVDB that would be nice to be able to group under the TVShow name but still be separated in terms of series & episodes...

Just trying to think of the easiest way to accomplish that without breaking the standard episode/series rules.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is there a better way to add odd tv shows then this?   Is there a better way to add odd tv shows then this? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is there a better way to add odd tv shows then this?
Page 1 of 1