Posts : 409
Join date : 2011-06-10
|Subject: opening of the station Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:15 pm|| |
Quainton Road railway station was opened in 1868 in undeveloped countryside near Quainton, Buckinghamshire, 44 miles (71 km) from London. Built by the Aylesbury and Buckingham Railway, it was the result of pressure from the 3rd Duke of Buckingham to route the railway near his home at Wotton House and to open a railway station at the nearest point to it. Serving a relatively unpopulated area, Quainton Road was a crude railway station, described as "extremely primitive".
Following the opening of the station, the Duke of Buckingham built a short horse-drawn tramway to assist with the transport of goods between his estates at Wotton and a terminus adjacent to the existing Quainton Road station. Extended soon afterwards to provide a passenger service to the town of Brill, the tramway was converted to locomotive operation, becoming known as the Brill Tramway. All goods to and from the Brill Tramway passed through Quainton Road station, making it relatively heavily used despite its geographical isolation, and traffic increased further when construction began on Ferdinand de Rothschild's mansion of Waddesdon Manor. It was proposed to extend the Brill Tramway to Oxford, which would have made Quainton Road a major junction station, but the plans were abandoned. Instead, the Aylesbury and Buckingham Railway and the Brill Tramway were absorbed by London's Metropolitan Railway (MR), who already operated the line from Aylesbury to London. The MR rebuilt Quainton Road station and re-sited it to a more convenient location, allowing direct running of services between the Brill Tramway and the Aylesbury and Buckingham Railway. When the Great Central Railway (GCR) from the north of England opened, Quainton Road became a significant junction at which trains from four directions met, and by far the busiest of the MR's rural stations.creation site internetcork hotel