Media Companion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Media Companion

Discussion and development board for the program Media Companion.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Error when adding a movie search folder

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
buzzra

Error when adding a movie search folder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Error when adding a movie search folder   Error when adding a movie search folder Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 6:10 pm

I am getting an error when I add my movies folder to version 1.816 of Media Companion. The error has been discussed before. It is a problem with access to the 'System Volume Information' folder on windows drives. My movies "folder" is actually an physical hard drive mounted on the movies folder. An error log is not created, I just get a pop up error.

Thanks for an Amazing program that makes living with multiple Xboxen painless!

buzz

Why did this not show up in the above post?
Back to top Go down
tfittsy
New User
New User

PostSubject: Same error   Error when adding a movie search folder Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 6:26 am

I'm getting this same error. I'm trying to add drive I: which is full of folders with one movie each. I get an error instead of it just running a recursive search. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Billy Bunter
Media Companion Supporter

PostSubject: Re: Error when adding a movie search folder   Error when adding a movie search folder Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 1:52 pm

Hi there! I'm getting the same thing too Crying or Very sad I'm on version 1.818

Fantastic program by the way !!!!! cheers cheers

BB
Back to top Go down
billyad2000
Admin
billyad2000

PostSubject: Re: Error when adding a movie search folder   Error when adding a movie search folder Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 4:40 pm

To avoid this error dont store media in the root of a drive.

I spent a couple of days a few months ago trying to work around this error and I never found a suitable solution.
I have a few ideas for solving it, but since few people keep their media in the root of a drive, it's got a low priority.
Back to top Go down
http://billyad2000.co.uk
buzzra

PostSubject: Re: Error when adding a movie search folder   Error when adding a movie search folder Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 6:59 pm

Thanks Billy. I knew you had worked on it before. Early versions did not have this problem.

My problem with this is that this is actually a physical drive that is mounted as a folder named "Movies". It is a little known feature of the NTFS filesystem, but helps greatly when adding additional space to an existing media share. The "System Volume Information" folder is a hidden system folder. Could it be as simple as skipping folders with the hidden attribute?

Thanks for the quick response, and all your hard work on this AMAZING app!

buzz

EDIT: I just tried turning off "show hidden files and folders" option in Windows Explorer and still have the problem.

Last edited by buzzra on Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add additional info)
Back to top Go down
billyad2000
Admin
billyad2000

PostSubject: Re: Error when adding a movie search folder   Error when adding a movie search folder Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 8:22 pm

buzzra wrote:
Thanks Billy. I knew you had worked on it before. Early versions did not have this problem.

My problem with this is that this is actually a physical drive that is mounted as a folder named "Movies". It is a little known feature of the NTFS filesystem, but helps greatly when adding additional space to an existing media share. The "System Volume Information" folder is a hidden system folder. Could it be as simple as skipping folders with the hidden attribute?

buzz

EDIT: I just tried turning off "show hidden files and folders" option in Windows Explorer and still have the problem.

Definately not that easy.

The problem with the following code:-
For Each subdir4 In Directory.GetDirectories(realpaths(f), "*", SearchOption.AllDirectories)
code to check each folder for nfo's
Next

When it attempts to Directory.GetDirectories a protected folder it causes the exception. While it is handled the whole of the loop is dropped.

If anybody has a way to do the above and avoid this error then I would appreciate the help.
Another way would be to catch the exception without jumping out of the loop.

As I said, I will find a way to fix this eventually, its just a matter of priorities, and so far all the solutions I have come come up with need quite a lot of code.
Back to top Go down
buzzra

PostSubject: Re: Error when adding a movie search folder   Error when adding a movie search folder Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 6:31 am

billyad2000 wrote:
buzzra wrote:

buzz

For Each subdir4 In Directory.GetDirectories(realpaths(f), "*", SearchOption.AllDirectories)
Next

When it attempts to Directory.GetDirectories a protected folder it causes the exception. While it is handled the whole of the loop is dropped.

If anybody has a way to do the above and avoid this error then I would appreciate the help.

As I said, I will find a way to fix this eventually, its just a matter of priorities, and so far all the solutions I have come come up with need quite a lot of code.

I didn't think it was, or you would have fixed it already!

If I come across anything that might help I'll let you know. Any priorities you have for this application are my priorities too! Very Happy

Thanks Billy

buzz
Back to top Go down
hastarin

PostSubject: Re: Error when adding a movie search folder   Error when adding a movie search folder Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 7:47 pm

billyad2000 wrote:

Next

The only way I can see to do this after a quick search would be to use "System.IO.DirectoryInfo.GetFileSystemInfos" in a custom recursive method.

If you want a hand coding something up let me know (message me) and I'll give it a go, though it will be in C# not VB. Smile
Back to top Go down
billyad2000
Admin
billyad2000

PostSubject: Re: Error when adding a movie search folder   Error when adding a movie search folder Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 5:42 pm

I think i've fixed this for the next version.
Back to top Go down
buzzra

PostSubject: Re: Error when adding a movie search folder   Error when adding a movie search folder Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 2:43 am

billyad2000 wrote:
I think i've fixed this for the next version.

Yep! this has been fixed in the 1.827 version
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Error when adding a movie search folder   Error when adding a movie search folder Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Error when adding a movie search folder
Page 1 of 1