Media Companion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Media Companion

Discussion and development board for the program Media Companion.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

I am confused on how this integrates with XBMC

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Jyujinkai

I am confused on how this integrates with XBMC Empty
PostSubject: I am confused on how this integrates with XBMC   I am confused on how this integrates with XBMC Icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 11:08 pm

Hi there.. I found this site though a link on the XBMC forum.. a user there said I should try it out.. but I am not really sure how it works in conjunction with XBMC...

I scanned a test folder of movies and everything worked out great... it made a actor directory and added thumb nails and art and a .nfo file...

Now what?

How do I get XBMC to read in these nfo files and junk into the XBMC library? Do i need to delete the library.. I tried just scanning the folder but you need to set it to a scrapper to do this.. so XBMC "seams" to just use the default scrapper that is built in.

Thanks in advance

--Jynks
Back to top Go down
billyad2000
Admin
billyad2000

PostSubject: Re: I am confused on how this integrates with XBMC   I am confused on how this integrates with XBMC Icon_minitimeMon May 17, 2010 1:35 pm

It does not matter what scraper you select, XBMC always checks for nfo, fanart, and poster files first. If they exist then XBMC will use the data contained. Disconnect the internet if you dont believe me.

The reason I created Media Companion was due to to the unreliable nature of XBMC. A couple of years ago, it was common place that XBMC needed the library redoing from scratch, and performing this on an XBox for a large media collection could take days, firstly scraping everything, then sorting incorrect scrapes, selecting posters and fanart etc. Media Companion turned this into a do once process. Once you have added your media, set the posters and fanart it can be regarded as permenant. Next time your XBMC partition needs reinstalling, the library can be imported from the nfo files much faster than from the Internet, and with 100% accuracy.

This is less of a problem for XBMC now, since there are ways to export and import your DB, even to nfo files if you wish, but many still find it easier to edit movie data using a keyboard and mouse. Changing incorrectly identified movies is also much easier.

Some additional benefits of MC.
  • Creation of Sets (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Movie_Sets)
  • Creation of offline movies (Adding those movies that are on DVD or Blu-Ray)
  • Automatic creation of TV Episode screenshots
  • Automatic renaming of TV Episodes
  • See what episodes are missing from your collection
  • Batch operations (eg, update rating information for all movies)
  • Movie information across multiple machines using XBMC (Due to the different paths this can only be done using nfo files)

Hope you get the idea
Back to top Go down
http://billyad2000.co.uk
Jyujinkai

PostSubject: Re: I am confused on how this integrates with XBMC   I am confused on how this integrates with XBMC Icon_minitimeMon May 17, 2010 1:45 pm

Thanks... i have been playing with it and it turns out if you scan with xbmc and there is a nfo it skips checking the net... so far I think this is pretty cool.. and I appreciate the effort that goes into projects like this.. so thanks.

I was wondering though if there is a way to scrap documentaries? Maybe using docowiki.net or something... I didn't see the option so I guess not.. I have been scrapping them though IMDB and putting a custom genre for doco in them... but imdb doesn't have all the episode names and stuff and many docos are not in tvdb.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I am confused on how this integrates with XBMC   I am confused on how this integrates with XBMC Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I am confused on how this integrates with XBMC
Page 1 of 1