Media Companion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Media Companion

Discussion and development board for the program Media Companion.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

[3.039] Fanart Image Caching / Not Adding

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Talc
New User
New User

[3.039] Fanart Image Caching / Not Adding Empty
PostSubject: [3.039] Fanart Image Caching / Not Adding   [3.039] Fanart Image Caching / Not Adding Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 2:04 am

Bug report:

Using version 3.039, (from a fresh install) if I click on a movie name that does not have a fanart image and then go through the process of selecting and saving it, the fanart image that I selected will appear in the correct place.

As I then start clicking down other movie names, all movies that have a fanart image show the correct image, BUT if the movie does not have a fanart image then the last fanart image I tried to download will be shown.

If I close the program and reopen it then the last fanart image that I tried to download will again be shown for every movie that does not already have a fan art image.

If I look in the media folder, I can see that the selected fanart image was never added to that folder.

What I think is happening:

I think that when I first click the 'download' button on a piece of fanart, it is saving that image to some cached location. I think that then every time I click on a movie you first try to load the existing fanart (which works if it exists) and then if you can't find it you load that cached image. So, the real problem here could be that for some reason the fanart is never being moved from your temp location to the media folder.
Back to top Go down
Talc
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: [3.039] Fanart Image Caching / Not Adding   [3.039] Fanart Image Caching / Not Adding Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 6:17 am

Ok, I've figured out the bug. When Media Companion tries to download fan art, here's what happens:

• User selects fan art to save
  • Media Companion saves file to fanart.jpg
  • Media Companion renames the file from fanart.jpg to <movie_name>-fanart.jpg

This bug occurs when that rename fails. I don't know why if fails, but it appears to only happen when I try to scrape a large number of movies.

If the rename ever fails then you now have a file called fanart.jpg in your media folder. From this point forward, any time you view a movie if there is no existing fan art then Media Companion will load that fanart.jpg - so you have what looks like incorrect (or cached) fan art for all but the one movie you wanted to add that fan art to.

To reproduce this bug, do the following:

• Open media folder
  • Rename any fan art to a file called fanart.jpg
  • Load Media Companion
  • Click on a movie with no fan art - you will see fanart.jpg loaded
  • Try to download new fan art for that movie
  • Download will succeed, but again rename will fail
  • Every movie will appear to have this new incorrect fan art
  • Rename will ALWAYS fail if there already exists a fanart.jpg when you attempt to download

If you are having this problem and you want to fix it manually until a bug realease happens, do this:

• Go to a media drive
  • Make sure that the file 'fanart.jpg' does NOT exist
  • If it does, delete it
  • Add fan art like normal
  • Fan art should add correctly

Though it hasn't happened to me, this bug *may* apply to movie posters as well.
Back to top Go down
billyad2000
Admin
billyad2000

PostSubject: Re: [3.039] Fanart Image Caching / Not Adding   [3.039] Fanart Image Caching / Not Adding Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 11:35 am

MC does not rename "fanart.jpg" files, When scraping, MC looks for existing fanart in all naming conventions, if such a file exists then it will not download a fanart.

It sounds to me like you have all your movies sharing a folder, yet "fanart.jpg" is a valid naming convention, often used when people have each movie in its own folder. since you already have fanart.jpg in the same folder as each movie then MC believes that the movie already has a fanart.

The same is happening when browsing, MC is checking all naming conventions for the selected movie that exist in the same folder and finding "fanart.jpg"

This is not a bug, it is the intended behaviour that allows media companion to support all naming conventions.

What might be a bug is why the "fanart.jpg" is created in the first place

Ensure that the option (Save files as "movie.nfo", "movie.tbn", & "fanart.jpg") Is not checked in the preferences.

If you can reproduce fanart.jpg being created then please let me know.

Other than that, as you said, now that the fanart has been deleted then the issue should be permenantly fixed.
Back to top Go down
http://billyad2000.co.uk
crash123

PostSubject: Re: [3.039] Fanart Image Caching / Not Adding   [3.039] Fanart Image Caching / Not Adding Icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2009 11:39 am

Yea it has happened to me in the past as well. I'm not sure if was with Gen2 though. Will report back if it happens again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [3.039] Fanart Image Caching / Not Adding   [3.039] Fanart Image Caching / Not Adding Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

[3.039] Fanart Image Caching / Not Adding
Page 1 of 1