OK, the workaround that I used was to:
Delete my current MC install folder.
Install a new version of MC.
Create a dummy movie folder with dummy movie folders for each affected movie containing dummy avi files with the exact name of the movie/folder.
I named the dummy movie/folder according to the IMDB name which let me add most of the movies that were not being scraped.
However, Friday the 13th Part 2 was still giving me headaches.
SO...what I did to add this one was:
Selected one of the movies that added to MC in the movie main browser...
Clicked Change Movie...
After backing up the MC files in that movie folder (e.g. tbn, nfo etc)...
Browsed to Friday the 13th Part 2 on the IMDB website and clicked GO...
Thus changing the movie I had selected's nfo and associated MC files into Friday the 13th Part 2...
Then all I had to do was move those files to the Friday the 13th Part 2 dir and rename them to match the actual movie file.
Then I just got rid of the dummy folders, moved all the new nfo's that they had allowed me to create into each of the real movie folders and renamed them as above.
Start up MC, re-add all of the real movie folder dirs and then all of the movies that weren't scraping now appear.
Thanks for the help
. Hope this can help someone in the future.